Saturday, October 4, 2008

COURIER JOURNAL HITTING HARD TIMES

Some say it probably isn't smart to antagonize the big boys. The way I see it you antagonize the bad boys by holding them accountable and deal with the consequences regardless of size.

I have taken my share of hits and misses in my day and will continue to do so just ask the Mayor and his cronies.

The Courier lost my respect a long time ago. They refuse to do the type of in depth reporting many of you see on this blog, and other Internet sources, though the stories are factual and we all share a common bond in our community to gain accountability through transparency. I miss the old days of the Bingham's at the Courier and still remember the evening edition of The Louisville Times. When real news broke it made the evening paper. A once proud paper with a stellar reputation across the Country has devolved into this local "Enquirer" mindset of journalism.

Their choice I guess but sad nonetheless. Which brings me to this.

I have known for some time the Courier is hurting for readership. I was very surprised today though to see just what lengths they would go to to get them.

This evening while catching up on the news before I headed to work there was a knock on my door. Turns out it was a Courier Journal salesman. Never mind I have a No Solicitation sign on my door to keep salespeople from bugging me all the time this person felt it necessary to interrupt my evening news to tell me about the great deal the Courier had for me.

If I would just take this absolutely free Courier Journal paper he was trying to give me and sign something or other I could get the Courier free for one month!

Great deal huh? Depends on who you are I guess but the problem was he had 3 young kids with him ( I am guessing middle schoolers), to help with his sales pitch. Apparently if I would sign and agree to receive the paper these poor kids could go to Kentucky Kingdom or Kings Island or something.

Does this seem funny to you?

I always expect kids to come knocking on my door for the latest school fundraiser and I always support them with my donation. I expect girl scouts to knock on my door wanting to sell me cookies. I buy them. This is acceptable and directly goes to the kids and their school function but a business like the Courier using kids for their subscribership and profits?

Sorry it sent the wrong message to myself and my neighbors. Since when has it been acceptable to use kids for a business like the Courier Journal. Are they that hard up they have to resort to the "do it for the kids" approach to get subscribers?

I have a suggestion for them. Quit trying to use the kids because you are too lazy or too cheap to actually do in depth reporting. Quit playing politics and go back to the days of Edward Murrow, or Walter Cronkite, and actually be journalists for a change.

Quit being an Abramson cheerleader and start working for the people who want to know the truth about our government and our local stuff.

Bottom line find your journalist integrity and make a once proud paper be recognized again.

Don't prey on our sympathies for children to get your profits.

I and all the lost subscribers you have only want you to do one thing.

Your job.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading LNP. Open and honest discussions of local politics and relevant issues is important to voter understanding. Please listen to the "Ed Springston Show". We broadcast Monday through Thursday evenings at 7 PM on local media outlets. Please check for the links.
Yours truly,
Ed Springston

9/11 Twenty-One Years later....

This will not be the post you expect from the headline. Fair warning..... Most remember the events of 9/11. How anyone could forget I have n...